THE KIDS ARE GROWING AND GLOWING; YOU ARE GETTING OLDER. HERE ARE 5 WAYS TO KEEP UP WITH THEM
Being a father is the most fascinating “job” in the world. There is nothing out there like it. You really get to know yourself better than ever before in part because your kids reflect who you are and how you treat them. Fatherhood requires constant self-improvement and learning from the list of never-ending mistakes you make along the way. When you do it right, the rewards are priceless. You will love who you are, you will love your children, and you will love your significant other. You will love life.
Being a father, however, is by no means an easy task. It requires your time, energy, and consistency. It is life’s most important commitment and obligation, and it can take a toll on you in the form of added stress, sleep deprivation, increased workloads, , and poor diets, all of which contribute to signs of aging.
To make sure I am a good father and spouse, I constantly reevaluate who I am and how I can do better. The following 5 strategies help me better manage fatherhood and the wear and tear that comes with it.
- LESS TV, MORE LIFE
After spending most of the day in front of a computer at work or on a phone screen, I don’t want to return home to stare at a TV. That’s a waste of time. The end of the workday is exciting family time. I like to spend it playing, learning, or exercising with my children.
Cutting down on TV time can make a huge difference not only for you as a father but also for your family. You will enjoy more together time, exercise more, and forget about all the things the commercials make you want.
- BEER IS GOOD, SMOKING SUCKS
Beer tastes great! It also relieves stress accumulated from work and from family. There is nothing wrong with having a cold one once in the while, as long as you can drink one or two. Drinking too much and too often adds excess calories and anxiety the next day, and it can negatively impact your time with your kids . You already know the deal with smoking: it causes cancer and harms your overall health.
- EXERCISE IS THE NEW DOPE
Exercise is not only great for your health and physique, it is one of the most powerful proven de-stressing tools. And you do not need a lot of time or a gym membership to exercise. You can get fit anytime and anywhere with three bodyweight, core-strengthening exercises: pullups, pushups, and burpees. These exercises make you look less bulky and more natural as compared to using weights in the gym, and your kids can do them with you. Try the simple routine below, and you will see a major change in your body in as soon as 30 days:
Exercise Routine: Anytime, Anywhere
- 10 pull ups
- 30 push ups
- 20 burpees
5 sets total with a 30-second break in between sets
- YOU CAN EAT. JUST KNOW WHAT, HOW OFTEN, AND HOW MUCH
Eating healthy is common sense, yet we tend to forget the basics. If you like eating, that’s okay. But try to eat natural, unprocessed foods in small (snack-style) amounts as often as 5-7 times per day. This will keep your digestive system active and prevent it from overloading. A healthy diet can include nuts, low-calorie protein snacks, egg whites, tofu, white meat, and fish.
Like most fathers, I struggle with eating well and tend to gravitate towards “quick” foods when tired, stressed, or just plain busy. When life gets too-fast paced, it’s easy to crave sugar in the form of candy or sodas. When you really need that dose of sugar, try natural treats, such as honey, dark organic chocolate, or fruit (dates, apples, mango, etc.)
- USE THESE MEN’S CARE PRODUCTS
These days, a lot is expected from men, and those expectations will not go away soon. We work harder and we live longer. Ironically though, signs of aging are showing up sooner than ever before. We also benefit from advancements in health and beauty that provide men with an abundance of effective anti-aging products.
When I started showing signs of aging, I was not experiencing other signs like fatigue, decreased energy, or low testosterone levels. I actually felt great and was in better shape than when I was 25. Despite that, my grey hair moved in and spread faster than normal. As a father of two, I wanted to look like I felt. I wanted to keep up with my kids physically and avoid looking like Santa. I know many people don’t care how they look, but when 20-somethings start calling you “Sir,” it deflates the ego tremendously.
I recommend the following three products for feeling and looking young:
- Sunscreen is the number one—but often most overlooked–men’s care product that prevents both premature wrinkling and skin cancer. I strongly recommend finding an all-in-one cream with SPF to protect your skin from the sun and replace all other daily, nightly, or eye creams you may use. Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturizer SPF 20 may be the one for you: https://www.getjackblack.com/double-duty-face-moisturizer-spf-20.aspx
- Volt Instant Beard Color by Volt Lifeproof Grooming is an excellent dye-free beard color that applies in seconds and last up to 48 hours. You will look and feel instantly 10 years younger without the harsh elements of beard dyes and the constant upkeep that comes with permanent beard dye products. Just wear it whenever you want! Volt Instant Beard Color fits in your pocket, and you can take it with you virtually anywhere. When I use it, I hear less “Hello Sir” and more “Hey Man.” Get it at https://voltgrooming.com/product/volt-instant-beard-color
- Massage cream. Find a good massage cream and have your counterpart massage you once a month. Don’t forget to return the favor. Massage cream feels awesome on your body and benefits your marriage. http://www.zenorganics.com/product/zeropainarnica8oz
Although you cannot stop aging, you can certainly slow it down to keep looking and feeling great. There is no better time than Father’s Day to focus on looking and feeling your best.