Let’s face it (no pun intended), beards are our best friends. They add some nice warmth in the winter, and a good edge to any man’s style all year-round. But they are not without their weaknesses…One of these weaknesses is the dreaded beard itch, redness, and/or flakiness that commonly occurs to our bearded brethren. Resolving these issues, however, is a fairly simple and easy process! And that is exactly what we’ll be talking about today!
Beard itch is exactly what it sounds like. After all, most bearded men have experienced it at one point or another and will immediately recognize it. The real question is, how can we resolve it? Well, first we need to discover why beard itchiness occurs, and then we can work on resolving those issues!
What Causes Beard Itch?
The truth is, beard itchiness can be caused by many different and unique variables. Any one of them can cause some itchiness or irritation in your beard, and combining them only makes matters worse. Here are just a few of the main things that cause beard itchiness:
- Dry Skin
- Ingrown Hairs
- Low-Quality Grooming Products
- Acne Breakouts
As you can see, these are rather common issues, even for people without beards. And because of this, even the slightest changes can cause them. For example, the changes in seasons can cause skin to dry out, allergies and rashes to errupt, and a litany of other issues that may connect to beard-itchiness.
The good news is that, although these things are pesky and can cause beard issues, none of them are untreatable! So, how can we remedy or rid these issues from our furry friends (no, not your dog/cat) once and for all? Let’s jump into it.
Stopping Beard Itchiness
Depending on the reason for your beard itchiness, you’ll want to take different steps to resolve it. In fact, most of these issues can be resolved rather easily with a simple grooming routine and some high-quality products. Let’s dive right in…
Whether you have dry skin, acne, or irritation around your beard that is causing you issues, there is a very simple process that can get rid of these things. In fact, you may just roll your eyes over how simple it really is because…you probably could have guessed it right off the bat.
The solution is as simple as 1,2,3.
- Wash your face and beard thoroughly. (making sure to exfoliate the skin underneath your beard is the critical step here)
- Dry your beard.
- Apply beard oil
- (Optional) Apply beard balm after beard oil.
(Note: This is where most men go wrong. Taking a shower is NOT the same as washing your face.) rarely do people exfoliate and scrub deep enough to get underneath their beards to the skin when in the shower.
It sounds simple enough, that’s because it is. In fact, I used to suffer from beard itchiness and dryness as well until I regularly started using these beard products and was able to wash my face thoroughly. Here’s why this works…
Exfoliating and washing your face strips it of natural oils and dead skin cells which clog your pores, and then replacing those oils with safe, high-quality beard and skin oils helps you re-hydrate your skin without the dead skin cells to mess things up. Over time this resolves your dry skin, flakiness, and likely your acne as well.
Keep in mind, this doesn’t occur all at once. That’s why most grooming advice is about a routine.
Now, some of you may be asking, “But what if I use beard oil regularly and it doesn’t work?”
Well, here are some things to keep in mind. Your beard oil must be beard and skin safe. That is, beard oil must be viscous enough to last, but fluid enough to absorb quickly. There are a few reasons for this.
Beard oil that is too thick will cake up on your skin and collect more dead skin cells over time, especially if you aren’t washing and exfoliating your face enough.
Beard oil that is too thin will not last long enough to provide hydration as long as you’ll need it between uses. And beard balm is the icing on the cake that provides less immediate hydration (like beard oil) but gives much longer-lasting hydration and softness to your beard and skin throughout the day.
Beard Products That Fix Beard Itch
Every quality beard should be paired with a quality beard product or two. That’s really all you need.
At the very core of every beardman’s grooming regimen should be (at a minimum) a quality beard oil and beard balm for the same reasons we just discussed. They offer a wide variety of benefits for every beard scenario and are relatively inexpensive.
When looking for beard oil, here are some things to keep in mind.
- Medium Viscosity: Too thick = acne problems. Too thin = no hydration. A beard oil that is quick-absorbing but lasts is what you want. (and a nice fresh scent doesn’t hurt either!)
- Organic Ingredients: Only look for quality natural oils and ingredients, that’s all it takes to make good beard oil. Anybody using preservatives or those hard-to-pronounce chemicals is doing it wrong.
- Safe On Skin: In tandem with point #2, your beard oil should be safe to use in your beard and on your skin. This just ensures you can maintain a uniform beard without worrying about interfering products for either your beard OR skin.
Now, when looking for a beard balm (my favorite beard product), here’s what to look for.
- Styling Ability: Beard balm not only hydrates for long periods of time, but also can be used to tame wild beards. Look for a balm that can do both to give yourself a good amount of options and control!
- Organic Ingredients: Beard balm can be made of similar ingredients as beard oil, but also adds various butters (like shea) and waxes (like bees) to give it longer-lasting hydration and texture.
- Works Well With Beard Oil: Not all beard oils and balms work well with each other, that’s just the truth. Finding an even balance between the properties of each is hard, but far from impossible! Just check out VOLT!
Overall, the points listed above may sound simplistic, or even a bit too obvious. But most men that I’ve asked have told me they don’t actually stick to a regular face-washing, exfoliating, and hydrating routine. It’s no wonder beard itch is a common issue, after all, these steps are the bare essentials of a healthy beard!
For an awesome combination of beard oil and beard balm, look no further than VOLT’s line of beard products. Our beard products are renowned for being cross-compatible, hypoallergenic, organic, and environmentally sustainable. They work well with each other, and are completely safe for your beard AND the skin underneath to give you options, comfort, and resolve your beard itch!
Click the button below to take a quiz where you can find the perfect beard product for you!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY